Summer in Kansas offers residents the perfect opportunity to relax, recharge, and spend time with their loved ones. Whether you’ve got a long weekend away coming up or you’re getting ready to head out for a month-long vacation, it’s important to remember your home security as you plan. While a comprehensive home insurance policy is a great first line of defense against home invasions, it can take a lot more work to prevent burglars from targeting your home. Luckily, if you know what burglars are looking for, you have a better chance of protecting your home while you’re away. Keep reading to learn more about how you can thwart even the most experienced burglars and focus on enjoying your vacation this summer.
Home Security 101: What Do Burglars Look for When Choosing a Target?
Studies show that burglars work very fast as they work through the average home. In fact, it will take just 8 to 10 minutes for most burglars to get in and out of your home. This is because they are typically well-organized, prepared, and know exactly what they are looking for when it comes to valuables. If you can better understand which items burglars want most, you can better protect your home and property in case of a home invasion. Some of the most desirable items targeted by thieves include:
- Cash — Cold hard cash is untraceable and easily transportable. There’s no need to go elsewhere to sell or trade anything, so the burglars can pocket your money and make a clean escape.
- Small Electronics — Also easily transportable, thieves will be on the lookout for anything they can easily carry. Because of this, your laptops, tablets, and gaming systems are also very vulnerable. If they can easily be put into a backpack or small suitcase, they can be taken away without others noticing.
- Guns — Guns and other weapons are also extremely valuable out on the black market. They are very easy to sell and typically bring in a good amount of money. In addition to guns, other weapons like hunting bows, samurai swords and expensive knives are easy targets for burglars.
- Jewelry — If a thief can pawn or sell your jewels for cash, they will take them. Jewelry is also very easy to carry and can actually be worn out under clothing.
- Personal Information — Burglars can only steal laptops and jewelry once, but with your personal identification information, they can keep coming back for more and possibly take everything away from you.
- Medication — With the opioid crisis in America at an all-time high, many prescription medications carry a very high street value. Medications are also easy to grab and carry out of the home.
- Liquor — If you have high-end tastes when it comes to liquor, there’s a very good chance that thieves will lift as much as they can carry. Why should they have to spend the cash they stole on party favors if they can steal them from you?
Protect Your Home from Invaders
Most burglars live close to their targets and are familiar with your schedule. Additionally, they can typically get in and out of your home in a matter of minutes and often break in during daylight hours. One of the best ways that you can protect your home from burglars is to set up a home security system and invest in comprehensive home insurance protection. Since 60% of convicted burglars say that they will skip over homes with security cameras, this may be your best options when traveling for the summer.
Interested in other great home security tips? At Integrity Insurance Agency, we’ve got you covered. Contact us online today to learn more about our personal insurance options for Kansas residents and be sure to request a free quote.